Sunday, June 22, 2008

Umm scared shitless

Tomorrow at 8:00am I am having oral surgery done that will involve filling 4 cavities, and extensive peridontal work. It will take 3-4 hours and Im only having half of my mouth done. The other half will be done on July 22nd. I am so scared it makes me kind of sick just thinking about it. And not the surgery part, the pain part. See, it's costing $5000 just to do the procedure. To be sedated, which would be using an anesthesiologist, would have been another $3000. You can see the whole story on previous posts. Anyway, we decided against an $8000 procedure when we learned that the dentist can give me pills that knock me out and supposedly make me "forget" what happened. I don't want to feel ANYTHING!!! And Im worried I might. I have taken 2 Valium tonight (and i don't really feel any different, maybe a little more tired and have some GI discomfort) and tomorrow morning at 7am Im supposed to take 1 Halcyon tablet, which is supposed to start the non-remembering process. I get 2 more when I get to the dentist which they say will knock me out and I won't remember anything. As the surgery progresses, if I need more, they give me more. The tablets are given sublingually, so they don't have to wake me up to make me swallow or anything. After surgery, i have to be watched for 24 hours because thats how long the amnesia affects can last. So no work for me tomorow. Hopefully Im back to normal on Tuesday because Im supposed to have Moo-Moo Tuesday and Wednesday to celebrate her birthday. Ughh, seriously, I am SO SCARED. I've never had an extensive procedure done just using oral sedatives. With my wisdom teeth I was hooked up to an IV. But also at that time, I had a special little thing called dental insurance, which I don't currently and this HAS to be done before the wedding. So there you have it. Im like avoiding going to sleep cause I don't want to do this in the AM. Oh and get this, the dentist said "unless you absolutely need it, we don't prescribe pain pills" Umm, honey, you go ahead and write that prescription out because I will be needing it. My pain threshold is VERY low. Plus 4 hours of oral surgery and I don't even get the fun of a Vicodin? Nope, not happening. Ugh, I need to try and get some sleep. I feel sick.

2 comments:

DC said...

I hope things went well today and you're doing OK. Feel better soon! :)

Tanya said...

Yuck! Hope you're feeling better now.